Sunday, March 22, 2009

March Madness

It's been all about basketball here--namely the high school boys basketball tournament this weekend and the girls tourney last weekend. I never knew how much my mom likes watching basketball. Maybe that's where I get it from? I love the game, watching the amazing plays and great three point shots, of course, but I also really love the drama. I am intrigued by the coaches and their demeanor and behavior, and I really love watching the players and how they react when they foul someone or when they get fouled. It's amazing to see how some of them get really beat up during the game (like Liz did) but keep on playing. Yesterday there was a kid with a disjointed finger, chipped tooth, and two bleeding scratches still playing until the end. It's not that I like brutality; if so I'd watch boxing. I am just impressed with how much a player goes through to succeed in getting the ball into the basket. In the very late part of the 4th quarter, the bench players substitute into the game, particularly the seniors (so they have a chance to play on the college court before their high school career is over) Also it's the end of the game that I am so interested in---when the inevitable happens---somebody wins and somebody loses. Those tears on the sideline are true emotion.

As far as healing goes, my incision is looking pretty good, and the stitches come out tomorrow in Milwaukee. The bottom inch or so of the incision is thicker and irritating to me, os we'll check on that tomorrow. No signs of infection, no worries at all. I have taken three outings this week--one to get my hair cut, one to a little shop near home, and last night to see "Grease" at a school nearby. Last night's outing was probably a bit much as far as energy and comfort go, but the performance was great and the whole family and Beth enjoyed it a lot. This morning I went to Mass and it went okay, except I never realized how much effort it takes to stand and sit and kneel in an hour...

Sometimes I feel like I'm being kind of a wuss, but then someone reminds me that it was two weeks ago that I had brain surgery and then it seems to make sense again.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I am glad you remembered that you indeed had brain surgery not quite two weeks ago and are entitled to a bit of recovery - which is not the same as being a wuss (that is a strange word to see in print!)