Wednesday, November 5, 2008

BASIC MATH

Having never been accused of loving math nor excelling in it, I find it amusing that I am now using my math skills in some volunteer work at school. Actually, I am just using my counting skills, but still, that's math, right?

Dealing with random, intermittent shocking facial pain every day gets boring in some ways. Some days are tough to deal with because there are lots of episodes of pain. Other days are better, but they all have the side effect feature--mainly the weird fatigue/drowsiness. On the harder days I have to work to be quieter or to improvise things so I can be more comfortable.

But the amount of time in a day is the same, and when I am doing so little compared to my former life as a full time social worker, it seems like a reason to get out is giving my days more purpose. So when I saw the notice of a need for help in the Gift Card office at school (a fundraising/tuition assistance program), I offered myself even though I clarified that I am not really at full capacity, it seemed like the right thing to do when the woman in charge said to me, "Well, can you count?"

Yes, that is something I can do. So there I am a couple mornings a week, counting gift cards and writing down the number on an inventory sheet. It feels a little like supported employment, but I am grateful for it for now.

No comments: