Thursday, November 6, 2008

Holding Steady Now

Last week I asked my neurologist for an increase in one of my meds to deal with the increasing pain. First, he wanted to check my levels--meaning I had to have blood drawn. I complied on Friday morning, and that afternoon, his assistant called with the results. My levels for the tegretol and gabapentin are "fine," but the dilantin was "a little low." So that day I was allowed to increase the dilantin from 300mg daily to 400. Since then, my pain has been better controlled, and that is good. It's not gone, of course. I feel it throughout the day in all the normal ways, but it's not as often and it is not as sharp or explosive. So I guess we'd say that's manageable---for now. I add that not to be pessimistic, but rather to be realistic. I've been down this road long enough to know that "manageable" lasts only for a while. How long of a while I do not know, so that brings me back to the importance of just living today and trying not to worry about what I don't know yet.

No comments: