Wednesday, December 17, 2008



Christmas spirit has been a bit slow to come to me this year. Certainly, it looks like Christmas outside with all kinds of snow and cold temps. I've played some of my favorite music to get things going (Canadian Brass, classic pieces by Nat King Cole and Burl Ives and those guys...) and have spent an afternoon gift wrapping and even watched "Elf," which makes me laugh and be happy. The tree is up and decorated because Liz, friend Bomie Kim, and Laura took the lead on Saturday. It really looks pretty and has a lot of lights, which I really like. The cats are using the nice concealed underneath area as a lookout spot, but no one has been climbing it this year, which I appreciate.

So it's not that I'm not ready for Christmas or not looking forward to it. In fact, there are more a few things that I am happily anticipating:

1. Midnight Mass, which really is at midnight, with carols beforehand

2. Reading "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote with the girls (kleenex at hand)

3. Ginger's tin of caramel corn for "snacking"

4. Watching the kids open presents and pretending NOT to appreciate the new

undies from Santa

5. Board games/card games with the Meinders family

6. Spending fun time with my side of the family, especially those sweet little kids

7. Getting together with Sarah and family, who we have not seen enough of this school

year.

8. The new tradition of white elephant gifts at the Meinders weekend


I think none of us are looking forward to the full realization that Grandpa Frank will not be in "his" recliner this year or at the head of the table for dinner. He died in March, at home, after a long "old age" and a short illness. We all were able to get there to be with him and to help take care of him, and that was good and I think there aren't many regrets, but still, that's an empty spot and we have to acknowledge it.

I'm also getting a bit nervous about long awaited upcoming medical appointments in Milwaukee. Not sure why. Fortunately I have been pain free in the last couple weeks, and that has felt so good. I can't even conjure up a zing or a zap right now! I am not confident that it's gone, but I know the medicine is doing its job, and I am grateful for that. I'm kind of forgetting what those attacks feel like...it would be so great if I did not have to feel one again.

And this morning my aunt Bettie is being buried in Marinette with her Florida family and some of the Wisconsin family there to observe and say a last goodbye. I am here but will visit her grave this summer when things are in bloom...







No comments: