Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hitting the Wall


This is what I feel like doing every day sometime between 2-4 pm. It's a wave of fatigue that overwhelms me, and I have to fight to keep myself upright and occupied. Otherwise, if I'm sitting down, soon I am lying down. If I am trying to read, my eyes go blurry and my head drops down in between sentences. Next I'm forcing them to focus and I get another sentence in before the whole thing happens again. If I "nap" (weird term for a med induced sleep), it feels so good to just succumb to this heavy pressure to sleep. When someone is home with me, I set a limit of 30-60 minutes and ask to be woken up by then. This kind of heavy sleep can go on for some time, and I miss too much of the day (and of life) by letting it run its full course.

Most days I don't sleep in the afternoon. Instead, I am on my feet. Doing something in the kitchen, putzing with housework, going downstairs to do laundry, going outside with the dog.
Once I get through that period in the afternoon, I seem to be normal again---whatever normal is.

That's a topic for another discussion.

No comments: