Tuesday, February 24, 2009

are YOU my mother?

One of my favorite books as a child (and as a grown up) was Are You My Mother? Remember that one--where the mother bird is sitting on her egg and it starts to move and she realizes that she better go find some food, and while she is gone her baby hatches and wonders where his mother is? So, not one to just sit around waiting, he gets down out of that tree and goes to find her. He asks various animals and machinery if they are his mother and they all answer something like, "No, I am not your mother. I am a cow. How could I be your mother?" Undeterred, he moves on and keeps looking, but it becomes more frustrating until at one point he yells something like, "I did have a mother! I did! I did!" Then the SNORT picks him up and puts him back in his nest...and they live happily ever after.

Well, I am thinking about that book today because it is my birthday and I am looking for my mother. I like to call her on my birthday around 8am to wish her happy birth day and thank her for bringing me into the world.

When I called this morning, I got her answering machine, and that's just not the same as hearing her laugh and relive a memory or two. It was snowing...my dad called his parents and said "I'm a dad again!" She would have named me Lisa Marie, but for some reason he prevailed with Lynn Marie, which I have really been grateful for because of Elvis and everything.

I think my mom is out gallivanting. She was up north on a short trip because her cousin died and they had the funeral yesterday. That was probably like a sort of family reunion like many funerals are.

I'm sure she'll call me later.

No comments: